GO! GO! GO!
Uni camps are THE BEST and THE EASIEST way to meet new friends. I don’t think I have ever met anyone who returned back from o’camp who said that they didn’t have a good time!
There are lots of camps on offer from a number of clubs and societies around the university. Some of them have already started advertising and offering spots to students back at AAD (academic advice day), and some will be advertising them during o-week. So keep your eyes open!
Back when I was a little first year, I was given a little orange showbag with application forms for the SSS O’Camp (Science Student Society) on AAD. I immediately filled the form out and sent it away with my money because I didn’t want to miss out on a spot.
But after hearing about the reputation of uni camps and the booziness (if that’s even a word), I was hesistant on going and nearly pulled out. I wasn’t a big drinker, and I wasn’t too sure about it all.
BUT! I decided to go anyways, and after that crazy weekend – I have absolutely no regrets! Well…my one regret is from not going to ALL the camps!
If you are still on the fence as to whether you should go to an orientation camp…GO!
But! If you absolutely cannot tolerate a bit of booze/nudity/crazy gross stuff…then o’camp is probably not the best for you.
Saying that – camps vary in their ‘craziness’. Science and Eng are the biggest, and Biomed seems to be the tamest (FROM WHAT I’VE HEARD!)
- Bring clothes that you are happy to get dirt on/messy/ripped/burnt…the whole lot!
- Booze in cans! No bottles (safety first dudes and dudettes)
- Be prepared to get nice and close with everyone
- You don’t have to participate if you don’t want to! People-watching is great fun
- Everything will smell like goon at the end of the camp – guaranteed. So bring a spare change of clothes for the trip home
I don’t know if you can access this, but if you would like to check out a little video of SSS o’camp from last year, follow this link!
For camp deets, see below:
SSS (Science Students Society)
- WHEN: Friday 22nd Feb to Sunday 24th Feb
- WHERE: Campaspe Downs
- FB EVENT PAGE: https://www.facebook.com/groups/461728893874214/?fref=ts
- FORMS: http://sssonline.org.au/ocamp.html
MUESC (Melbourne University Engineering Students’ Club)
- WHEN: March 1 – March 3
- WHERE: Catherine’s Creek Camp Allambee
- FB EVENT PAGE: https://www.facebook.com/events/407289289355101/?ref=22
M-ASS (Melbourne Arts Students Society)
- Their facebook comments say that it’s on during the first week of uni from Friday to Sunday…so I’m presuming March 8-10?
- Tickets on sale 28th Feb on South Lawn
Envi. (Environments Students Society)
- WHERE: Camp Allambee
- FORMS: http://www.2shared.com/document/wIMMvj8u/CampForm.html
- SOLD OUT!
That’s all the ones that I can find for now! I’m sure other clubs and societies will be advertising them around o-week!
That’s all for now! But, what have we learnt from today’s post? One must go to at least one o’camp!